Search Essential Oil Recipes
Aromatherapy Oils - Yarrow
Botanical name: Achillea millefolium
Botanical family: Compositae
Part of plant used: Flower heads and bush
Origin: Cultivated in Europe, Western Asia and North America.
Description: Spicy and slightly sweet.
History: Thought to have been used by Achilles in the Trojan wars to heal wounds of soldiers. Used to ward off evil spirits in Anglo-Saxon times.
Properties and Indications:
- Useful for headache sufferers
- Excellent skin healing properties for wound
- Stimulates hair growth
- Regulates menstrual cycle especially for heavy bleeding
- Can ease menopause symptoms
- Good for circulatory disorders including varicose veins and hemorrhoids
- Helps to promote perspiration making it useful for congested head colds
- Digestive problems such as colic and sluggish digestion
- Pain relief for rheumatic conditions
- Repels insects including mosquitoes
- Uplifting to the mind when feeling low
- Not to be used in pregnancy
- Could irritate those with sensitive skin
Back to Aromatherapy Essential Oils